Mudgee Wine Reputation
Gone are the days when Mudgee wine was called Mudgee mud. That reputation has been replaced with many award-winning wines and a plethora of gold medals.
Climate and Style
A warm, cool and dry climate, Mudgee is predominately known for its reds with a wide selection of Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz and Merlot. There are also many compelling Rieslings, Rosés, quality chardonnays, and a smattering of Italian varieties to choose from.
General Opening Hours
Most cellar doors are open between 10am and 4pm on weekdays, and for longer at weekends.
Lunch and Dinner at Cellar Doors
Some cellars door restaurants offer mouth-watering dégustation menus – here bookings are essential. You can easily nibble your way through a wine tour, by ordering charcuterie boards which most cellar doors offer.
Best Mudgee Cellar Doors 2021
With over 50 cellar doors across the Mudgee region, here is a list of our favourites. We suggest you book a wine tour and let your guide know your group’s wine pallete. Or for a unique experience, tour the vineyards on a trike! www.mudgeetrikes.com.au
- Logan Wines – 1320 Castlereigh Hwy Mudgee – 7 Days – A modern cellar door with views from an outdoor terrace only minutes away from the Riverlea Retreat hence its the first cab off the rank! (Directions)
- Skimstone Wines – 1307 Castlereigh Hwy Mudgee – Weekends Only – Babera, Chardonnay, Rose Sangiovese, Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon take your pick, they are all worthy at Skimstone. (Directions)
- Robert Steins Winery & Vineyard – Pipeclay Lane Mudgee – 7 days – Famous for its Riesling, Pipeclay Pump House Restaurant & Motor Cycle Museum. (Directions)
- Moothi Estate – 791 Ulan Rd Mudgee – 7 days – Very popular for their Rose and sweeping views across the valley. (Directions)
- 791 Estate – 791 Ulan Rd Mudgee – Open weekends & by appointment on weekdays – Friendly owner Fiona and Brandon love a chat and will serve up a great lunch paired with their delicious Rose. (Directions)
- First Ridge Wines – 577 Burrundulla Rd Mudgee – 7 Days – All Italian style wines with a selection of Vermentino, Pinot Grigio, Fiano, Rosé, Sangiovese, Enzo, Barbera, Sangiovese Frizzante. (Directions)
- Slow Fox Wines – 196 Black Spring Rd Mudgee – Fri to Tues + Long weekends – A combination of trellised and bush vines, all handpicked and made by a small scale winery on site. With a focus on earthy reds, Malbec, Merlot Sangiovese, Shiraz, Shiraz Tempranillo and blends. Bookings preferred. (Directions)
- Elephant Mountain Wines – 68 Edgell Lane Buckaroo – Fri to Sun – Interesting Rose range with medals and vintage Shiraz (Directions)
- Petersons – 6 Black Spring Road Mudgee – 7 Days – Cabernet Sauvignon and a very special Sparking Red, Petersons is a well established brand with cellar doors in the Hunter and Armidale. (Directions)
- 1838 Wines & Olive Nest – 60 Pipeclay Lane Mudgee – Fri to Sun – Apart from their award winning Rose, their olive oil is mouth watering. (Directions)
- Lowe Wines – 372 Tinja Lane Mudgee – 7 Days – Where the famous Zin House is located and a popular wedding venue The Pavilion. The sweeping views across the Mudgee valley, just the view alone is worth the visit and say hello to Louis, the owners dog freely roams the estate. (Directions)
- Bunnamagoo Wines – 603 Henry Lawson Dr Eurunderee – 7 Days – A beautiful vineyard and cellar door with a raft of reds, whites, roses, sparking and dessert wines to suit any pallet. (Directions)
- Pieter Van Gent – 141 Black Spring Rd Mudgee – 7 Days – Wine tastings are conducted in the cask hall, which is dotted with barriques, puncheons, antique choir stalls, and flanked by twenty old German oak casks (circa 1850) used for storing wines. (Directions)
- Walter Wines – 179 Tinja Lane Mudgee – Thu to Mon – Sample their wines and partake in a choice of local produce from a seasonal menu either within the Cellar Door environment or by venturing outdoors and picnic on the lawn. (Directions)
- Vinifera Wines – 194 Henry Lawson Drive Mudgee – Thu to Mon – Organic certified, wine tasting while soaking in the sweeping views across the vineyard to the hills beyond. (Directions)
- De Beaurepaire Wines – 182 Cudgegong Rd Rylstone – Thu to Mon – A nice sparking range with traditional reds. Long Lunching literally in the Vines with great wine, food and live music. (Directions)